Monday, June 28, 2010

Kendo in CDO

So, this is the second day of my suppose to be blogging experiment. Last night I though of things that I should write about today and to tell you the truth I almost didn't write because of laziness.

Well, so much for introductions so today I just want to tell you about how one of my dreams finally came true. I finally got to study KENDO.

When I say study I don't mean the internet but to actually be in a class, to wear the hakama (I used to practice Aikido so wearing a hakama is a really big deal for me) and to actually own my very own shinai or bamboo sword. 

Although to tell you the truth the classes held in sports zone Cagayan de Oro is taught by a Korean Sensei (see what I did there Korean and Sensei..hahaha..*cough*) and the classes are only 3 times a week for an hour for 2000Php. Yeah. 

I was actually hesitant to enroll in this class because of the price,etc but after 3 months of trying it out, I actually like it. The master teaches a small number of students (there are only 3 students) so he can really correct and help you erase all those bad swinging habits and posture you're making. And even if swinging the sword, I mean shinai, looks totally easy in the samurai x anime, its actually NOT. 

Swinging the shinai is easy swinging it properly is really difficult. One reason why this is so hard is that in Kendo, you swing the shinai using your left hand. Your right hand is only used as a guide for your left and to top it all you actually don't use your arm to swing but you use your wrist to make swift and fast attacks. 

I even tried sparing which I really suck at but nonetheless really fun and exciting. I actually like wearing the Kendo armor make me feel awesome (LOL). 

Unfortunately, I lost my tenugui or that towel that you put over your head when you wear your men T___T. I replaced it with an ordinary blue cloth.

Seriously though Kendo is a really fun and a very interesting art especially if you're like me who is a great fan of samurais and ninjas. 

But I hope that our master looks for another dojo for us to practice so we can do all those traditional Kendo practices like cleaning the dojo, etc.

Having our own dojo will also mean a more lengthier class (there's only so much we can do with 1 hour) I also hope to continue practicing this art as long as I can (hopefully I don't get bored or lazy practicing it).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm from cdo too and interested in learning kendo. Can I ask where you bought your kendo equipment? I'm trying to convince my mum to enroll me this summer. thanks! :D

Anonymous said...

Good day, I'm from CDO. I wanted to learn Kendo. What are requirements for taking a membership? Thanks a lot :-) Please PM me some details: This is my email Add---> desert_rose008@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Yo! I recently moved to cdo cuz of my new job, and I want to know more about Kendo in CDO, could you send me details, like requirements and stuff? Here's my email (roquereuel@yahoo.com) much appreciated mate. Cheers!